Happy New Year! With the the start of 2012, why not think about coming up with some simple new year’s resolutions for your family?
New Year’s Resolutions don’t have to be stressful, but they can be a fun, creative way to spend time with your child and teach them about setting goals and following through.
Simple resolutions like:
- Read a book or tell a story once a day.
- Make time to chat each day. Turn off the radio, TV & talk about the special parts of your day.
- Have a Family Game Night each week. (Twister is always a hoot!)
- Play at least one word game each week (use Scrabble tiles, magnetic alphabet letters and a cookie sheet or make letter cards and make as many words as you can).
- Ask your child to help with chores around the house & make it a team effort. Kids love to pitch in and feed the dog, dust or take out the trash.
- Everyone makes your bed in the morning.
- Everyone puts their clothes in the laundry bin not the floor.
- Play outside every day–play a quick round of basketball, throw the football, ride bikes, or jump rope.
- Take a walk & talk. This is a good stress reliever for all. Kids get stressed too.
They don’t need to be time consuming or difficult. The key is that they are small, achievable goals that you and your child can have fun doing together.
For more ideas, check out our Readiness Checklist.
Do you and your family have a new year’s resolution this year?